Skip navigation

Current Students

Academic Affairs

Washington DC

Students in Washington DC have multiple sources for academic advising. Students receive advising based on their concentration, affiliation, or specialization from faculty experts, program directors and associate directors. Professional academic advisors are available to assist students with course planning, fulfilling degree requirements, and resolving academic issues. Students with academic advising questions are encouraged to contact [email protected].

SAIS Europe

Bologna, Italy - prior to the start of the first semester, all students in Bologna are assigned to a full-time faculty member, where possible in their area of interest, for academic advising. In addition, an administrative advisor is available by appointment to discuss issues related to course load, sequencing, and other relevant issues. Students can send an email to [email protected] to make an advising appointment.

Hopkins-Nanjing Center

Nanjing, China - Students transitioning from the HNC to the MAIR program at Johns Hopkins SAIS are encouraged to contact the Office of Academic Advising at [email protected].

Admitted students can register for open classes via SIS.

SAIS Europe MAGR students will be automatically registered for cohort courses.

For advising on your course selections, students should contact the Office of Academic Affairs at [email protected].

Course Search

Use MyJHU, often referred to as 'the portal,' to find information and forms regarding status changes. classes and degree programs, requests to change concentrations, independent study, adding/changing a minor, and more.

The Johns Hopkins SAIS Student and Academic Handbook, also known as "The Red Book," is a compilation of policies, regulations and procedures for students.

Academic Calendars 

Co-Curricular and Experiential Learning 

The Co-curricular and Experiential Learning Office (CCEL) provides students support for all outside the classroom learning activities, including study trips, practicum courses, in-depth research projects, staff rides, and certain internship opportunities. For inquiries, please contact [email protected]


If you are interested in hosting a student-led event at the school in Washington DC, please contact the Events Team at [email protected] or +1 (202) 999-3202.

Global Careers

Through networking opportunities, internship support, employer presentations, skills courses, career treks, and more our global team of career professionals will help you navigate your job search.  

Through Handshake students can connect with staff and career development resources in the school’s career services office, create an online profile to access job and internship postings from tens of thousands of employers, and learn about recruiting events on JHU campuses.

 Log in to Handshake

Washington DC
+1 (202) 663-5710
[email protected]

SAIS Europe

[email protected]

Hopkins-Nanjing Center
[email protected]

Student Services 


The Office of Student Enrollment and Account Management (SEAM) works cross-functionally to provide support with financial aid, students accounts, and registration.

Request Support


Health and Wellbeing

Johns Hopkins University is focused on the holistic student experience. Part of that commitment is helping students in their mental and physical wellness.

In assuring that every student has equal access to university programs, facilities and technology, JHU is committed to full compliance with all laws, regulations and best practices related to accommodations for students with disabilities. Accommodations are made available through a joint effort between the school’s Office of Student Life and the university-wide Office of Disabilities Services.

Note: Accommodations may vary at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center in Nanjing, China depending on disability in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are made in consultation with the HNC administration.

The university requires that all students have comprehensive health insurance. Students are automatically enrolled in the student health benefit plan. However, students may waive enrollment in the school plan if covered by a plan that is comparable to that offered by the University.

Note: HNC students are covered under a healthcare contract with the RafflesMedical International clinic for routine primary care and emergency services. RafflesMedical is not health insurance and is unrelated to your student health insurance policy. It is a contract for clinic services only.

JHSAP is a resource that can help you identify and manage challenging issues in healthy ways. Getting help is free, convenient, and confidential. Their office is prepared to help students navigate a variety of critical issues including crisis response, healthy relationship support, school-life adjustment coaching, and faculty/staff consultations. Additionally, the program provides educational workshop and short-term counseling services. These benefits are also available for partners and spouses of enrolled students.

The JHSAP program

If you are in need of medical care while in Bologna the Director of Student Life will connect you with appropriate English-speaking specialists. An administrator can also accompany you to medical visits should you request this assistance. The school has partnered with the University of Bologna to provide counseling services in English.

Student Employment

Student employment offers students the opportunity to work with expert faculty, obtain transferable skills, and ease financial burdens.

Johns Hopkins SAIS students enrolled in full-time, degree programs are eligible to work in various roles across the school through the student employment program. Students often find employment working as research assistants, working with administrators, or working for the library. To view job postings or to learn more about eligibility and compensation visit SMILE.

Students who wish to work while enrolled at SAIS Europe can apply to roles in the library, as research and teaching assistants, or as student assistants for the Bologna Institute for Policy Research. Students can work up to a maximum of 60 hours per month, but on average should expect to work less. Positions are posted in advance of pre-term and students can apply upon arrival to campus. View campus job opportunities at SAIS Europe.

Students who wish to work while studying at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center can apply for federal work study positions for the writing center or for remote work the DC-based HNC admissions team. Occasionally, faculty hire students to work as research assistants. Students can work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Transcripts, Letters of Certification, and Duplicate Diplomas

Transcript Requests for Johns Hopkins SAIS DC students

Request hard copy or electronically delivered transcripts online.

Verification Requests

Current students and alumni may submit their requests online here.

Third party companies may visit the National Student Clearinghouse for enrollment and degree certifications. Please submit your request to "Johns Hopkins University – SAIS, 002077-01" for expedited processing.

Duplicate Diploma Requests

To request an official duplicate of your diploma, please download and complete the Duplicate Diploma Order Form found here.


Can I order a transcript over the phone?

In adherence to FERPA guidelines, our office must receive signed consent before we release your transcript. Therefore, we do not process transcript orders over the phone. Additionally, our office does not process credit card transactions, so requesting your transcript online at the National Student Clearinghouse may be most expedient.

Can someone else pick up my transcript for me?

Yes, provided that our office is notified in writing who will be receiving the transcript and he/she shows photo ID.

Is the electronic transcript an official transcript?

Yes, the electronic transcript is a secured document

Unofficial Transcripts

Current students have online access to SIS, our Student Information System, from where they can download an electronic unofficial copy of their transcript. It can be found on the Registration menu (top left side) under MyGrades, View Unofficial Transcript.

Official Transcripts - Electronic

Official electronic transcript can be requested online through The National Student Clearinghouse. Make sure to allow a few days for processing.
This option is not available for Bologna Center Diploma students who completed prior to AY 2015/16 and MAIA students who completed prior to AY 2007/08. Those students should request a hardcopy through this form.

Official Transcripts - Hardcopy

The SAIS Europe Registrar’s Office issues official transcripts as hard-copies in a sealed envelope. In order to request an official copy, please fill out the online form. Please allow a few days for processing.

  • For current students and recent graduates (<1 year) this service is free of charge.
  • Alumni are charged €5.00 per copy.

Enrollment/Degree Verification

Statements certifying student status may be necessary for various purposes (loans, social security, health insurance, military service, etc.).

  • Current Students and Alumni may request a letter verifying their dates of enrollment and degree program by filling out the paper form and then using SEAM's online form to complete the process. Please make sure to allow a few days for processing.
  • International Student Identification cards are available online at ICIS. The fee is approximately €10 and the card is valid from January through December of each year. To request it, one photograph and a valid SAIS ID card are required.

Duplicate Diploma Requests (MA, MAGR, MAIA, MIPP, Diploma)

To request an official duplicate of your diploma, please download and complete the Duplicate Diploma Order Form and then create a support case.

Students who completed the SAIS Europe Diploma in International Studies (formerly known as Bologna Center Diploma) in the AY 2015/16 or later may also use the above form. Students who completed it prior to AY 2015/16 may use the form to request a re-print, if the need arises.

Request both electronic and hard copy transcripts for the Hopkins-Nanjing Center.

If you intend to work/study/live abroad, you may be asked to verify your academic credentials by obtaining an Apostille or by having your credentials “authenticated” or “certified.” What is this process, and why are you being asked to do it?

You are being asked for an Apostille/Authentication because someone in another country wants to authenticate the signature and seal of an approved public official, the notary. Because countries often have different legal requirements for authenticating legal documents and public records, the Hague Apostille Convention Treaty was conceived in 1961 as a way to certify that a document authenticated for use in one country is certified for use in another. If you are being requested to provide an Apostille, the receiving country participates in the Hague Convention Treaty. However, not all countries are party to the Hague. For these countries you will be requested to have your credentials authenticated or certified.
The Hague designates US state-level Secretaries of States as Competent Authorities to issue the Apostille. The Secretaries of States in turn appoint public notaries to certify the signatures on certain documents. The Apostille is issued by a Secretary of State after that document has been notarized by an appointed public notary. The document is now certified for use in the intended country with no further authentication by the US Department of State.
For non-Hague countries, Secretaries of States also provide authentications. Rather than issue an Apostille, the Secretary of State will issue a certificate of authentication. That certification must then be submitted to the US Department of State, which will then issue an Authentication Certificate to make that document eligible for use in the intended country.
For more information on the Apostille/Authentications please visit the US Department of States Document Authentications website or view the The ABCs of Apostilles brochure published by the Hague Conference on Private International Law.
IMPORTANT: For your academic credentials the Apostille/Authentication authenticates the seal and signature of the notary public, not the registrar. Having your credentials notarized only creates a public record of the notarial act. The notary signature does not bestow any additional esteem or honor on your academic credentials nor does it make the document “more official” for most standard purposes (domestic job or graduate school applications). Without a notary seal and signature, your official transcript and diploma are still official documents and need no further endorsement if used domestically for non-legal purposes.

Authenticating your transcript:

  • Request a notarized official transcript
  • The public notary will witness the Registrar attesting to the authenticity of the document
  • You, or your representative, will send the notarized transcript to the District of Columbia Office of Notary Commissions & Authentications. After you have followed the appropriate procedure and paid any necessary fees, the DC Authentications office will provide the Apostille/Authentication for your document.
  • For non-Hague countries, the DC-issued Authentication must then be submitted to the US Department of State Office of Authentications for the final Authentication Certificate.
  • If your transcript is notarized outside of the District of Columbia, you will need to send the document to the Secretary of State of the state where the notarization was performed. Please visit the National Association of Secretaries of States for appropriate procedures for each state.

Authenticating your diploma:

  • Determine if you wish to have the original or a copy of your diploma notarized. Our office recommends you have a copy of your diploma notarized to prevent damage to the document. Also, please know that the Registrar’s Office does not keep copies of diplomas. For each graduate, only one diploma is created—the diploma that is given to you upon graduation. If you have lost/damaged your original diploma, you may request a replacement for a fee from the Registrar.
  • Verify with the intended recipient if a specific school official (the Registrar, the Dean, etc.) is required to attest to the diploma’s authenticity.
  • Bring/email a high-quality photocopy/scan of your diploma. The public notary may witness the Registrar or yourself attesting to the authentication of the original document or its copy.
  • If you will use a non-Johns Hopkins SAIS notary, you may be asked to present the original diploma.
  • You, or your representative, will send the notarized diploma/copy to the District of Columbia Office of Notary Commissions & Authentications. After you have followed the appropriate procedure and paid any necessary fees, the DC Authentications office will provide the Apostille/Authentication for your document.
  • For non-Hague countries, the DC-issued Authentication must then be submitted to the US Department of State Office of Authentications for the final Authentication Certificate.
  • If your diploma is notarized outside of the District of Columbia, you will need to send the document to the Secretary of State of the state where the notarization was performed. Please visit the National Association of Secretaries of States for appropriate procedures for each state.

Johns Hopkins University now offers Certified Electronic Diplomas (CeDiploma)!

Key Benefits

  • More than a paper diploma.
  • An official, portable and verifiable electronic version of your accomplishment that can be shared for a lifetime!
  • The CeDiploma holds your 12-digit CeDiD*.
  • Using Validation Services, your CeDiD is the key to your degree information for employers, agencies and more...
  • Provide your CeDiD* and School URL on your resume to highlight your achievement and expedite the verification process for potential employers.
  • Unlimited Sharing with employers, family, friends and social media.

*CeDiD (Certified Electronic Document Identifier)

Tuition and Financial Aid Resources

Current or incoming students with previous federal student loans may be eligible for an in-school deferment. Students are expected to keep track of their student loans and maintain contact with their loans' servicers. Usually, student loan servicers will be automatically notified of in-school status, but students should always check with their loan servicer to make sure.

The Johns Hopkins University is an approved institution for veteran’s benefits, including the following programs.

For questions about VA benefits, you can request support through SEAM's online form.

Legal Disclaimer: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government website at

For inquiries concerning student accounts, specifically program fees and due dates, payment information, third party sponsor payments, refunds, and 1098t, you can request support through SEAM's online form.

Online and Distance Learning 

The Online and Distance Learning (ODL) Office provides instructional design and academic technology support for face-to-face, online, and hybrid courses.

[email protected]
+1 (202) 663-5959